Department of Medical Termination Pregnancy (abortions) Family Welfare
The department is run under the guidance of Dr. Rekha Khandelwal who personally performs all procedures. She is a graduate from the reputed King George Medical College, Lucknow and Post-graduate from S. N. Medical College, Agra.
All procedures are performed in sterile aseptic conditions in a well-equipped operation theatre.
How Is Abortion Performed?
- Thorough clinical examination with past history of medication and disease.
- Routine blood investigations.
- Ultrasound pelvis:
- To assess the maturity of pregnancy.
- To rule out tubal pregnancy.
Methods of abortion:
- Medicinal termination (abortion):
- Medicinal termination is performed in a pregnancy less than 6 weeks.
- It is a safe nonsurgical method performed with medicines which should be taken under strict medical supervision.
- Surgical termination (abortion):
- Surgical abortion conducted by vacuum suction. It is a safe method with very less complication rate.
- Performed in a well-equipped operation theatre.
- Sterile equipment is used and disposable syringes needles and cannula are used.
- Procedure is performed either in general or local anesthesia under ultrasound guidance.
- The procedure takes about 15 minutes.
- Patient is kept in the hospital for 2 to 3 hours for complete recovery from anesthesia.
- Oral medication is given for a couple of days after the procedure.
- Nausea ,vomiting because of general anesthesia
- Most common feeling is menstrual cramps following abortion. There may be spotting or heavy bleeding or few clots that may last from few days to 3 weeks.It is normal to have no bleeding also after an abortion.
When To Consult Post-Procedure:
- Heavy bleeding with clots (more than 2 pads per hour for more than 2 hours).
- Pain or discomfort not relieved by medicines.
- Vomiting for more than 4 to 6 hours.
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge.
- Normal menses resumes within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Ovulationresumes quickly after an abortion, so pregnancy can happen soon after an abortion. Use contraceptives after discussing with the doctor.
- No tampons to be used.
- No sexual contact for at least 15 days or according to doctor's advice.
Dr. Rekha Khandelwal